As online retail soars so too does the demand for faster, better delivery, with most people in most instances expecting an option for next-day or free delivery. In this landscape retailers can only benefit from having more carrier choices. A multi-carrier system has many advantages and helps to spread the risks as well as drive efficiencies by taking advantage of the unique strengths each carrier brings to the table.
Although carriers act largely outside of the control of the retailers they serve, the fact that customers are interacting with delivery suppliers at a much higher rate than ever before means that customers make judgements about the retailer in conjunction with making judgements about the delivery. As a consequence, a poor delivery experience reflects poorly on the retailer – sometimes even more so than on the carrier. On the other hand if customers have come to view a specific carrier negatively they may choose not to purchase through a retailer in order to avoid dealing with their delivery option.
Despite the advantages, the thought of managing a multi-carrier system can be daunting and, in some cases, prohibitive. At SmartConsign we have created multi-carrier management software that makes management easier, not more difficult. With access to 25 carriers using our simple, efficient system, retailers can effortlessly find and utilise whichever carrier best fits their needs, every time.
Key benefits of the SmartConsign multi-carrier management software
- Carrier Agnostic System – our software doesn’t charge carriers to be integrated on the system. This ensures all the information you access about carriers is totally independent and unbiased
- Operational Efficiencies – you can access all carrier rates in one place, reducing the time it takes to research rates and process orders
- Operational Flexibility – you can review carrier performance and easily benchmark carriers strengths and weaknesses. This gives you the flexibility to choose the best carrier for the job
- Minimise Risk – the shipping logistics environment is subject to constant change (for example poor weather or traffic delays) having a choice of carriers at your fingertips gives you choice and helps mitigate risks
- Buyer Power – with access to all the rates and performance of carriers you are in stronger position to negotiate and get best rates
- Win new clients – match preferences for certain carriers – particularly if they are locked into certain contracts
- Customer Service – our software gives you the ability to meet rising demands for shipping whether for same day or free delivery. With access to multiple carriers you are free to choose the best option for your brand
- Returns Management – get enhanced ability to manage inbound shipping which allows you to access the right carrier at the right time for the job
In addition, we know that labelling can become an issue – at SmartConsign we’ve standardised all label formats to 4 by 6 inches, so there’s no need to worry about which carrier you’ll be using for each parcel – you can print off the same size label for all of them.
Our multi-carrier management system is just one of many ways that we are able to simplify and optimise your shipping processes. Take a look at some of our other great features or get in touch to find out more about how the multi-carrier system could work for you.